Sunday, July 1, 2007

Bass fishing on Myspace

I'm surprised at the number of professional anglers who DON'T have Myspace pages. Myspace is a great place to let people, especially young people, get to know more about you. Several pros do have Myspace pages and you can figure out pretty quickly which page is a fan page and which page is actually created by the pro.

Take Kevin Vandam for example (okay, this blog is turning into the KVD fan club but whatever...) Here's his "official" Myspace page. And here's a fan site.

And, going down the current Angler of the Year rankings, here's a Skeet Reese page. I can't tell if this is his official page or note because there is another one just like it. Who knows?

Aaron Martens has a Myspace page. I can't tell if it's really his page or a fan site. But he has me in his top friends, so I think it's probably really him. Plus, his blurb talks about his wife, Lesley, and spells her name right. I guess I could just message him and ask, but I hate to bother. Although it IS social networking right? Key word - SOCIAL?

I love Jason Quinn's page and especially his song. But I really love that his wife has a Myspace page. Taffi rocks. She has great pictures there and blogs a bit about what is going on in the Quinn world. Jason's PARENT's even have a Myspace site. Whatchawannabet that Taffi designed it?

Mark Zona even has a Myspace page. I like his interactive map widget that shows where his friends are located.

I searched Myspace for FLW Tour anglers, but I couldn't find any profiles. Not sure why.

KVD definitely has the most Myspace "friends" with over 2100. And just glancing through them it seems that the majority are young people. I think it's great that these pros are reaching out to young kids in a network that young people clearly love. Great way to influence them.

Social networking reaches huge numbers of people. And it is a great way to drive traffic to your personal website, if you have one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Angie. I'm really starting to get into your blog...

I had great success with myspace for the podcast. But I also spoke the same language as the people I was looking to help. I was there to help artists find alternative ways to being heard and thats very rare on myspace.

The problem with myspace is that its designed to keep us trapped in 'their space.' It's nothing more than a closed consumer community. Period. And frankly, the enviornment offers very little protection for children.

I guess I just feel that social networks are more effective when they remain open and transparent.
---------------------------------

Blog is looking great. Keep up the great work.

best,
R

Angie T said...

Richard, what would be an example of an "open consumer community?"

Anonymous said...

Angie, great question. It gets you thinking...Example = ebay..

I'll ask you a question -

How do we know the true identity of those people trying to 'reach out' and 'influence' young people on myspace?

I just wish they could all be like Kevin Van Dam.



Best,
R

Add to Technorati Favorites