Saturday, May 12, 2007

Guntersville Bassmaster Elite

Watched the Guntersville show this morning and I was not disappointed. I think Kevin VanDam showed remarkable restraint when he caught his big fish. I'm sure he wanted to celebrate. But he has a lot of presence of mind when the cameras are rolling. Now ZONA....on the other hand knows no restraint in his analysis. He'll say or do anything.

Terry Scroggins is showing out lately. Big Show finished 4th at Guntersville and then hot footed over to Santee Cooper to win the Southern Open there. Prior to the Guntersville event, his team won the Toyota Texas Bass Classic. It was good to see him win outside the state of Florida, and now that he has that monkey off his back....look out. Which reminds me that I ned to change my fantasy fishing team roster.

Speaking of Big Show and KVD who are both Toyota sponsored anglers, a cool site that everyone should check out is ToyotaFishing.com. I love their video clips. Very well done. And also good to see Toyota activating their sponsorship of the sport. I wonder how much traffic they get....

Activation in an integral element of sponsorship deals. A marketing executive at a major company who sponsors an individual angler told me that he would use the same budget to activate the sponsorship as he paid the angler. That's a good thing for the sport. A strong sponsorship activation means that the brand - and the angler - will receive more impressions. And those impressions are what keep the sport on the minds of the fan. And I am all for more people being involved in fishing. I can't help but think that the people who are involved in this sport, or hobby as the case may be, are enriched because of the participation.

So Toyota is activating. And they have the platform to go big. And they have a team of pros in place that will be hanging out at the top of leaderboards for a long time.

Anybody want to wager on how Big Show will do at High Rock?

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites